The #InstajoyProject Day 5
Happy Friday everyone! I hope you've had a wonderful week... And I so hope you've enjoyed the richness of our creative time this week. I know my head has been buzzing with mandalas - so much so that I'm going to be creating a new range of fine art prints from the mandalas I've made this week! Each print will be hand painted, and I hope to get some completed before Sunday so I can show you.
I've also noticed that I'm starting to feel constrained by A4 size paper... so I've picked up some A3 watercolour paper and soon will begin making larger scale mandalas. I can lose many happy hours working on my mandalas... so perhaps it will morph into days once I'm working in larger sizes!!
Today's theme for discussion is space - perhaps that should be S. P. A. C. E.
Specifically, when we enjoy creativity, when we know it helps us feel good - how can we consistently create the space for it in our lives? Space comes in different forms, so have a watch of today's video, or read on to see what I mean.
Making space is both a physical and metaphorical concept. Here are some of my favourite ways to create space.
- While many of us won't have a dedicated creative studio or space, it is helpful to organise a space where you can regularly create - even if this is a tiny corner.
- Make the place you create conducive to good calm, creative thought: keep it tidy, have something beautiful art of ornaments, or fresh flowers there to inspire you. Make it a sacred space, whatever that means for you
- Declutter - let go of what you no longer need.
- Have your art supplies organised and in one place so they are easy to access when you want to use them
- Be aware of your thoughts and thought patterns. Listen to your self talk and change any negative self talk for positive.
- Especially at this time of year when we can be pulled in multiple directions, take a moment to calm your busy 'monkey' mind. Stop. Pause.
- Get the to-do list down onto paper, so it stops cluttering your mind.
- Remember that creativity is (what I call) radical self care, and that some dedicated creative time WILL help you be more productive and effective in the other things you have to do. Allow yourself that time at a deep level - truly give yourself permission. Make sure you aren't conflicted with inner thoughts that say 'I should be doing something else instead.'
- Drop the 'should.' This time of year can contain lots of things we 'should' do. Keep your focus on what you would truly like to do, and let the 'shoulds' go!
- The most valuable tool I use to make emotional space is grounding and centring myself. There are many different ways we can ground and centre, and we will each have our favourites. I like to get outside, look up at the sky or stars, connect to ME via my sense of place. I put my bare feet on the grass, the soil, the sand or water. Most importantly, I return to what I carry with me all the time - my breath.
- So often, we forget the importance of breathing. Before I started yoga, I wasn't even aware that I didn't breathe properly. Many of us do shallow breathing, and can gain huge benefits from simply breathing deeply and slowly.
- Stop. Pause. Sit or stand up straight. Take time for 5-10 deep, slow breaths. Feel your breath travel all the way down into your abdomen - right to the bottom. Feel your chest expand, let your belly be soft as you take your breath in. If you like you can imagine yourself filling with golden light. SEE the air filling you with life and calm.
- I find when I'm particularly busy, (and bordering on overwhelm) my energy can feel very cluttered, which ultimately makes me feel constricted.
- Tune in to your own energy for a moment, and see how you feel. If you were giving off an energy field right now, what would it look like?
- Simplify. Calm. Ground.
- Return to what you know is true for you.
- Choose to use your energy - right now - for one thing (even if it's tiny) that channels your energy in a good way. This one tiny action can charge your energetic state, almost like pushing our own reset button. Your action could be creating something, writing a small affirmation down for yourself, give someone you love a hug and be embraced in return.
- The options are endless - just find one action that feels truly you. Choose to calm your own spirit, and nurture yourself.