The #InstajoyProject Day 4
Well... we're over half way now! And what an evolution we're seeing in your mandalas. I can't say enough how great it is seeing them all unfold. One of the things I love the best is the differences between everyone's styles... we all choose different shapes and combinations, and our style becomes unique to us.
Sorry, I haven't made a video to go with today's theme, as I spent all of yesterday travelling. It also meant my mandala for today is still a work in progress - I'll complete it over the day!
I said in my email this morning that we have 127 women participating in this round of the #InstajoyProject... people are still joining, so the number may rise further. I think that's such an energetic powerhouse to have us all interconnected this week. Imagine how much good we could do in the world if we were all united in creativity, producing beauty and goodness? The more we connect, share, and expand... the greater the energy we create. And that leads me nicely into today's theme...
Learning and growing
Some of you will be quite comfortable calling yourself an artist, others will have some hesitation using the 'A' word, or won't even have thought of applying it to themselves. I know it took me some years before I fully stepped into my calling as an artist.
But I think we're all artists and craftswomen of something - not least of our lives.
Whatever stage we're at, there's one thing I think is common to us all - we're all still learning and growing. I'm willing to take a bet that many of you love learning just as much as I do. Throughout my life I've lapped up knowledge like it was going out of fashion. Three degrees and a lifetime of informal learning STILL leaves me hungry for more, and learning is one of my greatest sources of inspiration in my creative practice.
If you're looking for a way to keep the spark in your relationship with creativity, here are some things to try. You can bring these ideas to your mandalas, your creative practice, your life in general.
- Try something new - try something you haven't done before
- Be curious. Wonder. Ask yourself, what would happen if...
- Bring fresh eyes to the world around you. Inspiration is everywhere, you just need to LOOK
- Develop a theme and work with it over time, for several artworks
- Start to look for your signature style. What makes your work uniquely yours? How can you magnify or expand on that?
- What brings you the most joy or ease? Do more of it!
- Go looking for learning: books, magazines, YouTube, online classes, in-person workshops... there are so many different ways to learn!
- Make a list of creative things you'd like to learn about, then try them one by one
- Take yourself on an artist date (as coined by Julia Cameron). This is a date for one - just you, and a creative activity or outing of your choice. Pick something you're curious about, that you've always wanted to try, or that is pure fun!
- Get a creative buddy, or form a creative mastermind group with some fabulous people
Once you start looking, there are no end of ways to keep learning, growing and being inspired by creativity. See if you can do one thing off this list today, and let us know how it goes! Have fun with it. And once again, happy Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for all of you! xx